From:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1993 19:04:59 EST
In reference to the early statement that the Norris Center will be renamed
after hockey great of yore, Taffy Able.

1) Yes, the ICE RINK is goind to be renamed after Able, but I believe the
entire sports complex will still be the Norris Center.

2) Able could not have been a LSSU star from the early 1900s, because the
school that became LSSU didn't even come into existence until 1950 or so.  I
think the first year of hockey at Lake State was 1967 under head coach Ron
Mason - the same.  Able might have played for the local junior team - the Soo
Indians.

This brings to mind a related question.  I was once told that U Mich coach
Red Berenson was the first college player to make it in the NHL.  Is there
any truth to that statement, or is it entirely wrong?  Sounds fishy to me, but
I have no way of knowing for sure.

James Old
U. of Notre Dame