From:
Ronald Correia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1993 14:34:41 -0500
Now that the dust has settled from this weekend's games and message
volume has returned to normal, I thought I'd send my performance
evaluation from the Providence College - UMass-Lowell game played
Friday night at Schneider Arena.  These are my personal opinions
based on that one game.  Keep in mind, they are also from the point
of view of a PC fan.

PROVIDENCE COLLEGE:

Power Play:  Basically ineffective.  The Friars spend too much time
waiting for the good shot.  There's rarely a player in front for a
tip-in or rebound, and Providence does not have a strong point man
with a good slapshot.

Penalty Killing:  Equally ineffective.  The Friars cannot clear an
attacker from in front of the net.  They play the traditional "box"
style defense when short-handed and allow the offense plenty of time
to setup and control the play.

Chad Quenneville:  Still very quick and has a good shot.  Deadly in
open ice.  Centers the first line well but has too much speed for his
linemates.  Needs another speedster with him at one of the wings.  Russ
Guzior would be a good candidate at right wing.

Brady Kramer:  Starting to come into his own.  Most effective when
allowed to play the body.  Good shot and tough to put down.

Joe Hullbig:  Improving.  Had a slow recovery after an injury last
season and was very tentative towards the end of the year.  He's more
aggressive this year and will be a force if he's allowed to use his
size.

Russ Guzior:  Biggest surprise of the year for the Friars.  He's PC's
leading scorer and he's only a Frosh!  Great speed and a lot of
determination.  What's this kid doing on the 4th line???

Bob Bell:  Handles the initial shot well.  Weak to his left.  Could sue
for abandonment this year.

UMASS-LOWELL

Power-play:  Very aggressive style, sometimes to their detriment.
Allowed several 2:1 or 1:0 breaks against Providence.  The Chiefs swarm
to the net well.  Very effective power-play against the Friars as
evidenced by the 4 power-play goals.

Penalty Killing:  Also a very aggressive style which torments the
attacker.  Worked well against Providence.  Good job keeping the puck
out of the zone in the first place.

Ian Hebert:  Centers a very strong first line.  Tough to move out of the
center.  Works well with both Bazin and Bullock.

Norm Bazin:  Strong winger with good instincts.  Glad he's a senior.
Works well slashing to the net.  Good stick control.

Greg Bullock:  Will definitely be a force over the next four years.
Very quick.  Adds speed to an already impressive first line.

Mike Murray:  Always a Friar Killer. Adds good depth to the second line.
Murray and Henry are a strong combination.

Neil Donovan / Jeff Daw:  Freshman/Sophomore combo that will dominate as
they mature.  Together they form a good third line and will only
improve.  Good scoring threat and no rest for the opponent.

Kerry Angus:  Solid defenseman.  Makes it tough to cross the blueline.
Covers the play well.  Tough to beat 1 on 1.

David Mayes:  Adds depth to the defensive corps.  Plays good positional
hockey.  Covers the center well and is seldom out of position.

Aaron Kriss:  Adds an offensive punch to the defense, but got caught out
of position frequently against the Friars.  First game back from an
injury so he may still be a step behind.  In any case, I prefer a
defenseman who plays defense.

Dwayne Roloson:  One of the premier netminders in the league.  With the
solid defensive corps in front of him, he'll be picking few pucks out
from behind him.

Again, those are my impressions based on the Friday night contest.
Lowell seems to be on their way to a very successful season.  Coach
Bruce Crowder is doing an excellent job bringing this team along.  Their
style of play is very entertaining and they should have a good season.

Providence, on the other hand, is struggling and continues to slide.
The finesse style preferred by Mike McShane seems ill-suited to the type
of player recruited by the Friars.  They spend too much time playing
with the puck in the corner or behind the net.  It's a rare sight to
see someone parked in front of the net.  It looks to be a very long
season for the Friars.

As of Saturday morning, the Friars were 0-6-0 in Hockey East.  They
started the 1988-89 season with the same record but came back to finish
22-18-2.  That year they advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals, losing to
Maine 2 games to 1 at the Alfond Arena.  There's still hope... :-)

I've only seen the score of Saturday's PC-Lowell game.  If anyone
was at the game and can send out a writeup, I'd appreciate it.  In
any case, it was good to see PC pick up a win...  I was beginning
to fear an O-for... :-)
-- Ron Correia
"Let's go Friars!"