From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1993 09:20:17 -0500
Bob Gilreath has given a good synopsis of the games this week-end. I
attempted to send this message out Saturday night from home; however,
I apparently haven't mastered my PC mail connection yet. I will drop
the scroes and other now well reported statistics and make only
commentary.

It is unfortunate that either of these games count in the standings.
Neither NMU nor MTU were allowed to play competitive hockey due to the
worst referee-ing that I have ever witnessed in hockey. Very little non-
penalty hockey was played. At times the referees even argued on the ice
among themselves. In any game there will be penalties; but when two very
good teams hit the ice, the penalty time should be very limited. I did
not see either team taking cheap shots or intentionally foul the other.
Most of the penalties called would have been ignored in previous years.
Did the fould called occur? In most cases, I would suggest that
something probably happened; however to call slashing on a goalie that
is attempting to poke check a puck off of an opponents stick seems extreme.

The games were generally unenjoyable: If the WCHA encourages this kind of
referee-ing, I do not think I want to attend the games. While I do not
want the fighting that has occurred on some rinks, I do want to see hockey
played. I am not interested in referees "earning their pay" impeding
the game with senseless or unwarranted calls.

Coaches and players can be penalized and censured for poor performances. It
is about time that the WCHA censure referees for poor performances. The
first two candidates might be Yackle and Buzz Christianson for their inability
to control a hockey game without flagrant misuse of the whistle. Clearly,
their open arguing on the ice during the game is also grounds for
disciplinary action.

Walt Olson