From:
Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 91 15:58:27 EST
Mind letting us in on the UND water bottle incident?  Some of us don't
know about that.

I can, however, let you know about the Jack Parker water bottle incident.
Boston University was playing a two-game weekend series at UMaine's
Alfond Arena.  The Hockey East referee was Scott(?) Leavitt.  Maine
was winning 4-2 with just over a minute to play when Leavitt called a
penalty on BU.  I think Coach Parker had just about enough, because
he started tossing several water bottles and a clipboard onto the ice.
Of course, the Alfond faithfull (4,300 or so) were irate.  The next
thing I know, I see an assistant coach trying to climb over the
plexiglass to get a fan, who appartantly threw something at the bench.
(Can't really blame the coach for that.)  Parker got a game misconduct,
and left the ice with the crowd chanting "asshole" at him.  Hockey
East Commissioner Stu Haskell chose not to impose any penalties on BU
or Parker.

Something's wrong here.  Parker acts childish by throwing debris on the
ice, and receives not even a slap on the wrist.  Maine Coach Shawn Walsh
complains about a referee's call after game one of the NCAA Quarterfinal
Series at Wisconson, and gets slapped with a one-game playoff suspension.
(Incidently, the comment came from Jim Montgomery receiving a spearing
penalty, and Walsh claimed the Wisconsin player acted hurt and was
barely touched, or in his words, "That kid got up three days quicker
than Christ did!") Blasphemous? Maybe.  But is ANY comment in the land
of freedom of speech worse than throwing debris on the playing surface?
I think not.

I had a lot of respect for Jack Parker until that night.  Now, he's
public enemy #1 in the minds of Black Bear fans.

Well, that's the BU/UM water bottle incident. What about UND's?

|Jim Baines, a.k.a. "Sportscaster",  BITNET: IO60312@MAINE           |
|"Fill the Steins to Dear Old Maine..."  GO BLACK BEARS!!!           |