From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1993 09:27:00 PDT
The following is taken from a pamphlet that I received with my season
tickets.  I don't recall receiving anything like it in the past, that's why
it struck me as interesting.

SELECTED NC$$ RULES EVERY ALUMNUS OR FRIEND OF THE UNIVERSITY
SHOULD KNOW.

This brief summary of NC$$ rules was produced for you, our alumni
and friends, to guide you as a booster.  Your efforts to comply
with NC$$ rules are needed and appreciated as much as any role that
you play in supporting the Michigan athletics program.

You are considered a "booster" if you do or have done any of the
following:

  1. Participated as a member of any of the athletic department's
     booster groups.

  2. Made a donation to the men's or women's athletic program or
     the institution's general fund.

  3. Promoted the institution's athletic program in any way.
     (e.g., planning fundraisers, receptions or other non-
     financially contributing ways.)

If you ever demonstrated an interest in the athletics program, you
are considered a "booster" governed by NC$$ rules.  It is important
to note that once you have been identified as a "booster" you
remain a booster forever, even if you subsequently discontinue
contributions to the athletics program.

BASIC POINTS YOU SHOULD KNOW

  1. A booster of a Division I institution is prohibited from
     making in-person on or off-campus recruiting contact with a
     prospect and his or her parents or legal guardians.  (Contact
     is defined as any face-to-face encounter with a prospect or a
     prospect's parents during which any dialogue occurs in excess
     of an exchange of a greeting.)

  2. A booster of a Division I program is prohibited from writing
     or telephoning a prospect and his or her parents or legal
     guardians.

  3. A booster is prohibited from contacting a prospect's coach,
     principal, or counselor in an attempt to evaluate the
     prospect.

  4. A booster is prohibited from offering any financial aid or
     other benefits (e.g., clothing, special discounts, tickets to
     events, cosigning of loans) to prospects or their relatives.

  5. You may however, continue to inform The University of Michigan
     coaches of prospects in your area by sending in newspaper
     clippings or the names of particular prospects.

  6. The University of Michigan faculty and staff are the only
     persons who are permitted to contact a prospective student
     athlete while on campus.

  John H
  U Mich