From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1993 12:58:19 EDT
Carol writes, in part:
>Gophers looked good in the first period. The only incident was the so-called
>major for fighting on Chris McAlpine. We really thought it was just a major
>with a 10-minute misconduct or we would have been more upset. What a crock!

   Misconducts are generally reserved (in the rule book) for equipment
   violations and disrespect to officials.  There are others, but
   fighting or wrestling are not among them.  :-)

>The referee must have been half asleep to call that wimpy punch to the head
>"fighting". The MTU player which received the hit, barely moved. Now I know
>that you can call a slashing penalty without actually making contact, but I
>was not aware that this also held for fighting. It was implied in the paper
>that hitting or the intention to hit can be called. This is news to me...who's

   The 1994 rule book says (and I quote):

      SECTION 14.  a. A disqualification penalty shall be imposed on any
      player who starts fighting.  Fighting is considered any attempt to
      punch an opponent.

   The second sentence above was added this year.  The rule seems harsh
   to me, and is a change from previous years, but is clear.

cheers,
wayne

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]