From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1993 15:01:23 -0600
Matt Rein writes:

>How good are these three prospects???  In 1978 (the first tourney I
>attended - I was 10 years old) Butsy Erickson, Aaron Broten and Neal
>Broten got 17 points in the tourney.  (Can you believe Broten, Broten,
>and Erickson grew up and played together on the same line, all from a
>town of about 200 people???)  Petrov, Lagenbrunner, and Novak tallied 36.

               ^^^^ Roseau is about 2000 people, I think.  But Erickson
lived something like two doors down from the Brotens.

>I wonder where these guys are gonna end up after college???
>
>Too bad for Cloquet though.  The days of the northern teams coming
>down to the cities with one superstar line and taking the tourney are
>over.  They did take the Consolation Championship after a first round

I think they've been over for a long time.  Recall that the Roseau team
with that line never won a state championship, either.  It takes a little
more depth these days.  Especially when you have to play three nights in
a row.

>loss to Moorhead by defeating Austin 11-1.
>
>--
>- Matt Rein

I know that another Cloquet player (besides Petrov) is going to UMD next
year, but I don't remember, was it Novak?  If so, I suppose Langengbrunner
is a good bet to follow next year.  They have some good individual players
on that team.

I haven't seen it posted yet, but the Minnesota Mr. Hockey award went to
Nick Checco, a forward from (undefeated 2-time state champions) Bloomington
Jefferson (refered to locally as the team from Bloomington that's not leaving
and, arguably, as perhaps the best high school team ever in Minnesota).

He had already committed to attend the University of Minnesota next year, along
with a teammate whose name I don't have next to my computer, but I think
it was Tim (?) LaFleur.  The Gophers also signed a defenseman from Tartan
H.S. (in Oakdale, MN;  yes, it's near 3M HQ) named Abrahamson.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!