From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1993 07:49:43 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes
>Speaking of rules....how about a clarification from the referee types out
> there.At one point RPI cleared the puck out of its zone.  It was stopped by
 the
> RPI right wing who was straddling the blue line.  He clearly pulled the puck
> back into his own zone to control it and set up a pass.  It was promptly
 stolen
> by a Harvard player who set up a very good scoring opportunity.  Several
 people
> in my section screamed for offsides.  I argued, however, that it shouldn't be
> offsides because RPI brought it in themselves (frankly, a rule which would
> permit a team to force its opponent offsides doesn't make sense to me).
> However, since none of use were really sure we didn't resolve it.

The short answer:  no offsides

The long answer: Rule 6-32d from the 1993 NCAA rule book
        If a plyaer legally carries or passes the puck back into his own
        defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in that
        defending zone, the offside shall be ignored and play permitted
        to continue.  (No slow whistle.)

--
Kenny Zalewski -- Computer Science Department; Intramural Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180