Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1992 09:45:00 EST
One final comment about this call:  As previously noted it was an delayed
offsides and not a penalty, therefore the goalie should have remained in
net.  However, I'm pretty sure that since it was a Canadian team and the
goalie wasn't used to the 2 ref. system that once he saw the orange arm
band in the air he headed for the bench.

The refs did the right thing in this instance (for an exhibition).  They
stopped play and skated over to the Waterloo bench to remind them of the
2-ref system and the difference between a delayed offsides and a penalty
call.  Thus, there were no further incidents and there was a minimun
disruption to the game.  All in all IMHO, the 2 ref. system can only be a
good thing by decreasing the amount of *chippiness* that goes on behind
the play and to catch those blatant calls that are sometimes missed.  Ho

However, I think the NC$$ missed the boat with the coincidental minor rule.
Congrats to UVM for putting Clarkson behind the 8-ball after just
the first weekend of play.  Maybe Cornell just might get a split in the
North Country this weekend? ;-)

Eric Hoffman
Cornell '88, SUNY-Albany ??
e-mail: [log in to unmask]