From:
"(Mike Machnik)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Mike Machnik)
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1992 15:33:40 EDT
Pam writes:
>   2. Is this an interesting magazine for those of us in the Midwest?
>	   Do others on the list subscribe?  If so, what do you think of
>	   the magazine?

I might subscribe to it this year.  I've gotten free issues in the past and
it's not a bad magazine.  I may even give Heather a subscription for her
birthday in two weeks.

It used to be Eastern College Hockey Magazine.  Now it encompasses all of
college hockey, including all four DivI conferences plus independents,
DivIII, and women's hockey.  I think this season it may even start covering
the club teams, but I am not sure.

It has improved over the past few years to the point where I think I might
subscribe now.  They publish something like every two weeks during the
season which means some of the news may be a couple of weeks old, but it
used to be a month old when they published only every month.  They've added
more stats although if you read hockey-l, that stuff is old news by the time
you see it in CHM.  Most of the interviews and feature articles are pretty
good.

I tend to think that because of the level of participation, you can't beat
hockey-l for amount of news/in-depthness/quickness/closeness to the stories.
But CHM fills some of the holes in h-l and will make for interesting reading
when it arrives; I have to admit I always read it cover to cover when I came
upon a copy.  And they know a little more than The Sporting News. :-)

- mike