Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1992 08:07:56 EDT
OK, I usually bash Detroit, but I'll stick in a little defense for it
(and Ann Arbor, of course).

Madison is a college hockey town.  It sounds as if Milwaukee is a
college hockey town.  East Lansing is a college hockey town.  Ann
Arbor is once again becoming a college hockey town.  Detroit is an
NHL town.  Tons o' hockey fans, just few college hockey followers.
Two things can be said about events held in Detroit:
  A. The "locals" are not avid college hockey fans.
  B. Supporters of the major surrounding schools (UM, MSU) not only
do not like to drive to Detroit (it scares the hell out of me -- I'm
not ready to die for a hockey game), but generally can view the event
on television (PASS) or most certainly tune in on radio.

Another thing that no one (that I can recall) has mentioned regarding
Minneapolis-St Paul.  The twin cities are big time sports towns,
including high school, college and NHL hockey.  When an event is held
in Minneapolis, unlike Detroit the locals are college hockey nuts and
the major university (the other UM) is there.  People have to remember
that Ann Arbor is not synonomous with Detroit, and Ann Arbor is a helluva
lot smaller than places like Minneapolis.

If all of this makes sense, you're doing better than I am this morning.

C-YA.

John H