From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1992 11:22:35 EST
Larry grumbles: :-)
>2) Desa goes on to say, "I don't think we would have sold the building
>out even if the Friars had made it.  We might have sold 1000 more
>advance tickets and the walk-up would have been better".  Hey
>Providence fans, is Desa right?  I know if this was UNH you would have
>packed the place, just as in the HE finals.

Providence's Schneider Arena seats 3,000.  They had somewhere between 1,000
and 1,500 for a Friday night HE *playoff* game vs UMass-Lowell.  Then,
PC fans were outnumbered something like 4,000 to 50 (UNH fans will back me up)
by UNH fans for their Thursday night HE q-final in Boston.

I do not believe that a difference would have been made if Providence
had been named to the East regional.  PC hockey fans have not supported
their team well this year, sad to say, despite a fourth straight
20+ win season.  I don't know whether it's the competition with hoop, but
hoop had a poor season in 91-92.

The reason I say a difference wouldn't have been made, even though
Providence would have been the home team, is that the three biggest
draws in HE - Maine, UNH, and BU - all made the regional.  If PC was named
in place of one of those, then I don't think the additional PC fans would
make up for the loss of those fans.

- mike