From:
Dale Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:13:17 -0500
I'm not really sure the 35% number is all that impressive. In fact, I'm
surprised it isn't higher. Of course, to do a proper analysis of this
factoid, one would have to know the number of U.S. college hockey players
who graduated in, let's say, the last twenty years. This would have to be
compared to the number of available hockey players from the rest of the
world (but for simplicity, maybe just count, Canada and Sweden). Again, I
select these two countries based on a wild guess that they are the biggest
contributors of non-U.S. NHL players. Anybody out there have the real
numbers?

Even if one could do the research and obtain the numbers suggested above
and it turns out that the 35% U.S. college hockey player contribution is
above the expected statistical likelyhood... would this really be
impressive? Would the statistic be as impressive if it turned out that many
of those U.S. college hockey players were actually from, oh... say, Canada?
Maybe it would still be impressive because it would indicate that U.S.
colleges are attractive enough to bring in players from across the border.
Now I am wondering how many of 65% of the Stanley Cup participants with
non-U.S. college hockey backgrounds are actually U.S. citizens. Wild guess
time again... that number is probably statistically ignorable.

Maybe an easier approach to this (now ridiculous) investigation would be to
just total up the number of NHL players who are of U.S. college backgrounds
and compare to all the other NHL players. If this percentage is under 35%,
then it's time to be impressed... because I suppose this would indicate
that U.S. college players are better??? But one more wild guess... I
strongly suspect that the percentage of NHL players with U.S. hockey
college backgrounds is higher than 35%.

DISCLAIMER: This message is in no way a disparagement of U.S. college
hockey players, the NCAA, Wally Shaver or Canadians! Just havin' some fun
with the statistic in Wally's article, eh.

Dale Thomas
U of M
Go Gophers!