From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:22:12 -0600
just got reminded that i promised to share what i learned from my "you can
influence the committee" mail.  Here's a copy of the mail I sent.
This is not a scientific poll. The sample size is FAR too small.  I
also talked to several folk at the event and have paraphrased what they
said as well

> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:40:28 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [ name deleted ]
> Subject: schedule for frozen four
> Cc: [log in to unmask]
>
> [ name deleted ]
> This represents a survey of about 25 people at most.
>
> My message was.....
> 	yesterday, between the 2nd and 3rd periods, i went up to the
>         NCAA committee suite. Anyhow, a member of the committee (not
>         my neighbor, coach serratore) asked me about whether hockey-l
>         folk would like a change to a saturday/monday format. I
>         promised him that i would get some opinions.  This e-mail is a
>         request for some brief opinions (to me directly) on this
>         issue.  I'll sumarize and send you a copy of the e-mail.
>         Opinions, as always, carry more weight when justified.
>
> change to saturday monday	4
> do not change			11
> change to friday sunday	5
> indifferent			2
>

> reasons given
> sat-mon reduces conflict between tv and work
> sat-mon makes dead day sunday. if attending, less things to do than on friday
> sat-mon has players missing moday classes when schedule is already
>         dovetaiuled to missing thursday-friday classes
> fri-sun less awful in screwing up work week
> tv revenue might be better on sat-mon
> do not change, we are not roundball
> i'd rather watch final live than semi-finals
> little to gain from change other than tuesday travel may be cheaper
> if within driving distance, i can work friday and still attend
> do friday sunday day before mens hoops
> easier to get off later in the week
> sunday "tourist day" a bad idea
>
> my observations
> 	if one is flying, one most likely misses 3 days of work
> 	wed-fri, thu-fri-mon, or fri-mon-tue
>
> 	having sunday as tourist day not nearly as good as friday
> 	(don't have to compete with locals for attractions, more
> 	attractions open, etc)
>
> 	there may be marginallly better air fare if a change is made
>
> 	i know nothing about impact on TV revenues
>
> 	the layoff between regionals and finals is long now. changing
> 	days either increases the layoff or (if you go 5 days earlier)
> 	decreases it to the point where the teams at the fri-sat
> 	regionals have an advantage over the sat-sun regionals
>
> 	despite the suggestion of one of my colleagues, a dovetail
> 	with hoops will not work unless we displace women's hoops as
> 	women's hoops now occupies the friday-sunday (or
> 	sunday-tuesday) around the men's hoops.
>
> 	the venue is sold out anyway, so the motivation can't be to
> 	bring more fans in.

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon   | charlie shub
 \ /  Campaign Against | University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
  X    HTML in e-mail  | [log in to unmask]           (719) 262-3492
 / \      and news     | http://cs.uccs.edu/~cdash   (fax) 262-3369