From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:09:26 -0500
from RPI's SID

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Beattie <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mar 21, 2006 11:40 AM
Subject: Rensselaer info (3/21)...
To: [log in to unmask]

INSTITUTE LAUNCHES SEARCH FOR
NEW HEAD MEN'S HOCKEY COACH
Dan Fridgen announces departure from Rensselaer

TROY, N.Y.  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) Director of Athletics
Ken Ralph today announced that the Institute has begun an international
search for a new head men's hockey coach, following the resignation of
coach Dan Fridgen.

"Rensselaer has offered me a tremendous opportunity over the past 17
years," Fridgen said.  "My family and I are very thankful for all the
experiences we have shared with some tremendous people in the program, on
the campus and in the community.  I wish the team nothing but success."

"Dan Fridgen has served Rensselaer admirably over the past 17 years,
including 12 as the head coach, and his efforts are greatly appreciated,"
said Ralph.  "As we enter this period of transition, there is great
excitement about the new opportunities ahead for our student athletes and
dedicated fans."

"I applaud Dan for his hard work and dedication to the Institute and for
the compassion and commitment he has exhibited to his players.  We wish him
all the best," said Rensselaer President Dr. Shirley Ann
Jackson.  "Rensselaer has a great hockey tradition, and we will now take
the necessary steps to begin a new chapter in our program's history."

"We are very proud of the outstanding student-athletes Dan has recruited
and introduced to the Rensselaer community," said Dr. Eddie Ade Knowles,
vice president of student life.  "Building on Rensselaer's strong tradition
of scholar athletes, we will continue to field a team that is solid on the
ice and in the classroom."

In his 12 years as the head coach, Fridgen compiled an overall record of
211-193-38, including a league mark of 116-116-31.  He enjoyed eight
winning seasons, including five 20-win campaigns, and his teams finished in
the top three in the league standings three times.  The Engineers won the
league tournament once in his tenure.

The 2006-07 Engineers return 18 players from this year's team, including
two of the top three scorers and their starting goaltender.  In addition,
Kirk MacDonald, the team's top scorer in 2004-05 who was a medical
red-shirt in this season, is also expected to return.

Second-year assistant coach Frank Bretti will manage the day-to-day
operations of the men's hockey program while the search for a new head
coach is in process.

Kevin Beattie
Sports Information Director
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute