From:
drakelore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
drakelore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:07:58 -0500
Well, being at the 'Clubhouse' in Tampa is ALMOST like being at Stub
and Herbs on the U of Minn campus.  There is no smoking, and I know the
management.  Thank goodness I cannot hear the audio - I respect Tom
Saggisor's (sp?) enthusiasm, but I have never been able to stomach his
commentary.

Unfortunately, my two friends were not at the bar tonight.  I kind of
think that since Keith's brother was running for Mayor and I think he
lost, the two of them were just plain wore out from the campaign.  My
Dad tells me that it was just as nasty a campaign season up north as it
was down here.  Gosh, sometimes I thought I was watching a session of
the House of Commons in Great Britain on the BBC!

Oh, yeah, the game.  I was a bit skeptical when I saw that Baby Shep
was officiating, but it seemed to turn out okay.  I have to say from
what I saw, the Gophers owned the last 1/3 of the 1st period.  It got a
bit chippy at the end.  Bodies flying everywhere, hitting opposing
players that while fun to knock them around, really should have been
left alone.  I do have one bit of advise for Briggs - if you want to be
"Hauser-like" and knock players around with your goalie stick, be sure
that the ref is looking the other way.  I know he does not like guys
being in his crease, but he did not need to bat that player with his
stick in the first.

The second period pretty much belonged to the Badgers.  They played
fast, and intense hockey.  The Gophs laid back a bit.  The Badgers got
the only two goals of the second period.  I think that about says it
all.  Their goalie was great, as the Gophers had 32 shots on goal after
the 2nd.

Now the third started out slow for the Gophers, but they finished
strong - especially after Irmen's penalty shot.  (which I am sure will
be contested by every Badger fan online for the next 3 months.)  To be
honest, from the far-side camera view of the play, the Badger hit the
puck from Irmen, I really did not see anything that should have brought
Danny down.   But then I am watching it on TV, and 1700 miles away.
No matter, one should never look a gift horse in the mouth.  It was a
gift, and Danny cashed in on it.

After that point, I think the Gophers maintained their intensity and
finished out very strong.

It will be a good one.  I have told my friends at the dance club that I
will not be there tomorrow.  This series is just too important.  I need
to see BOTH games this weekend!

Oh, and for my Gophers buddies - I saw "Joe" and his significant other
on FSN between the 1st and 2nd periods.

Later,

Kathy M.
Go Gophers!