From:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:37:41 -0400
John
Although I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of DC as a possible site, I am
always concerned when college hockey's showcase event goes to city that has
no frame of reference for the sport. Recent FF's in Anaheim and Cincinnati
were, IMHO, a disaster. To me southern California was a ridiculous place for
the FF mainly because only a tiny percentage of the natives knew anything
about the college game. Same with Cincinnati.

While all the positives you list are true, I am concerned about the amount
of interest the event will generate in the DC area. In my limited time in
Washington I have found that everything focuses on the Redskins, then maybe
some ACC basketball if Maryland is doing okay. The fact that the Capitals
management has totally alienated their limited fan base makes me wonder if
the DC area hockey community will embrace our event.

I know that the NCAA likes to expand the FF to non-traditional sites so I
guess that DC is better than some of the others that have been mentioned.
But I still think the issue of local support for the event has to be
addressed in a serious way.

Greg Ambrose