From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:45:09 -0800
Ed Moller wrote:

<What do you mean by "type of school" fit?  How does UVM fit better in HEA than Merrimack does>

You touched on it in your next paragraph.  It’s a New England State University.  It has the
resources to compete with the HEA schools.  (Of course having the resources to compete isn’t
enough; you also have to have the will, the commitment, and the people).

<and for that matter why would Merrimack fit better in ECAC?>

From a school profile standpoint – type and size of school, the importance of hockey relative to
other sports, overall athletic program, etc. It’s an almost exact parallel to St. Lawrence, except
for location.

<How much different a school is Merrimack than Providence?>

Providence is kind of a “tweener” enrollment-wise; about twice Merrimack, but less than half BC.
Providence also has a more high profile athletic program; hockey isn’t the only sport that
competes on the highest level.  Basketball is actually the strongest sport at Providence.  They've
been in the national tournament often -- I think Final Four a time or two.  At Merrimack, hockey
is the only sport that competes on a high level.

<To take it several steps further, do you think Colorado College is not a good fit for the WCHA,
based on the "type of school" it is?>

They’re a prisoner of geography.  If there were an “ECAC West” (I know, an oxymoron) CC and DU
would be prime candidates.

<What I see happening in the long term is that Hockey East . . .>

I agree completely.  Of course who said logic need apply?  Jerry York should be very happy that
Florida State and Miami don’t have hockey teams.

Clay