From:
Moller Edward N <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Moller Edward N <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:26:50 -0400
Since I responded to the original post this morning, two people have
notified me that Sporting News Radio WWZN-AM 1510 will be broadcasting BU
games this season.  The origin of this report is a posting on USCHO's
message board dated 09/05/02, which cited a comment Sean McDonough (the
television voice of the Red Sox and a name familiar to many college hockey
fans) made on his radio program that afternoon.

On the surface this appears to be a huge improvement from WROL, however
there is one huge problem here.  The Zone (as it calls itself) is the radio
flagship station of the Boston Celtics.  One can imagine the amount of
conflicts with schedules this raises:  Friday nights when the Celtics
regularly play at the FleetCenter and Saturday nights when they are often
playing on the road.  What happens then?  Delayed broadcasts of BU games?
If so, then this is hardly an upgrade from the poor signal of WROL; it is
instead a major step backward.

I checked WWZN's website today, and it does not confirm that this is really
happening.  I sent them an email and have yet to receive a response.

BTW, the radio voice of the Celtics is Sean Grande, also known to many
college hockey fans and previously the voice of the T-Wolves.

Edward N. Moller
Controller
Mount Ida College
777 Dedham Street