From:
Michael Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 22:29:38 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph LaCour" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: McCloskey Named Head Women's Hockey Coach at UNH

> Mark Johnson was just named the Wisconsin women's coach.  I think it is a
> case of getting the best qualified person at the time to fill the
position.

And I'm waiting for the first time that a woman is the best qualified person
to coach a mens' team.  In hockey, basketball, baseball, football, whatever.
Until that happens, responding to a man being hired to coach a womens' team
by saying that he's the best qualified is a lot of hot air, because it's a
distinction that's only being made in one direction.  It's dishonest.

> Right now, I think there is a dearth of high quality women coaches in the
> USA.  Canada is the reverse.  They can find quality coaches for their
> Olympic program, we can't, at least not yet.  I have a feeling as "old
> guard" from the Olympic team retire, they move into coaching NCAA and
> National teams.  Give it a few (10) years and the balance will tip.

So, when do you think that UNH will hire a woman to coach the mens' team?
Until that happens, the balance hasn't tipped.

> BTW Shannon Miller can coach my team (men or women) anytime.  She is one
of
> the best coaches in college hockey.

So how long do you think it will be before she gets an interview to coach a
mens' team?

J. Michael Neal