From:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:04:25 -0500
> Watching the FOX-NE broadcast, the announcers made a remark that once the
> Pats game was over, the goal judges arrived.  They were both students from
> the look of them.
>
> I thought that the NCAA wanted officials to man the goal judge positions,
> rather than taking anyone from the stands.  Was everybody in NE watching the
> Pats - Steelers game, so HEA could not get 5 guys to cover a college game

Years ago, I went to a UNH-NU game at Watson Rink at Harvard.  I believe
that NU was playing at a neutral site because of some renovations at the
Arena.  Anyway, the game started at 7:00 but apparently the goal judges
thought that it started at 7:30 because, back then, that was when Ivy games
started.  Instead of delaying the start, the refs recruited two guys out of
the stands, including me, to be goal judges.  I was assigned the goal where
UNH was defending I don't think Northeastern had a shot in the 15 or so
minutes I sat there.

> If anyone stuck around for game #2 of the doubleheader on Fox, they were
> treated to a old fashioned barn-burner of  a hockey game.  If both these
> teams make the HEA finals, I look another classic HEA final (ala
> '85/'91/'00).

It'll only be a barn burner is someone other than John Gravallese refs the
game.