From:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:32:10 -0600
According to the NCAA, each penalty, regardless of length, that results in a
team having a numerical on-ice advantage, counts as one power play. The
number of power plays being equal to the number of power-play goals that
could have been scored.

For instance, a team which has a full two-minute, 5-on-3 power play, would
have two power plays statistically since it could have scored two power play
goals (I believe this differs from the NHL, which would consider this to be
one power play).

Major penalties are the exception which prove this rule. As was state
earlier in this thread, a team cannot be perfect on the power play if they
have a power play as the result of a major penalty. Each goal ends a power
play and begins another in this instance. One goal during a five-minute
power play would be 1-for-2, two goals 2-for-3, etc.

One second of power-play time constitutes a power play (and I've had many
coaches complain about that, even though they don't complain when it helps
their penalty kill numbers).

Craig Roberts