From:
"Craig A. McGowan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig A. McGowan
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1992 09:11:09 EST
I would like to comment on the recent discussion by Instone, Walsh and
Newman regarding ratings & playoffs.  In trying to determine the quality of
a team, there is no substitute for "more connections".  Given that we have a
less than ideal situation, how do we deal with it?

Its not just "the team on the bubble"as Mr. Newman mentions below, but the
seedings and the overall representation of each division in the tourney.  If
a team is totally dominant, then all it has to do is make the tourney.
Otherwise, its seeding is more or less important.

But all you have to do is schedule Army once to drop your rating
considerably.  In the TCHCR (a system that I have great respect for), Maine
dropped by a large amount because they only beat Army 15-5.  In fact, they
could not have beaten Army by enough to maintain their ranking!  Will the
fact that Maine had to play Army mean that they don't get a first round bye
in the NC$$s?  [of course not!]

While some might say that the problem is with the eastern teams avoiding
"tough" opponents, Mr. Walsh's letter indicates that this is not the case.

In summary, is there a better way of rating the top teams relative to each
other?  How do polls, the NC$$ system, and TCHCR compare when given this
task?  How well has each of the above done in the past at picking the final
four?
--
Craig McGowan