From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 22:02:00 EST
<snip> [log in to unmask] wrote:

>>Fighting in a sport should be as least a misdemeanor and
>>maybe a felony, rather than a five-minute stay in the penalty box.

>Strongly disagree here.
>I think a great deal more, a great great deal more, people have been
seriously >injured in the normal course of events in sports than in a
fight/brawl.

Fighting is usually an escalation of illegal, intimidating or retaliatory
acts, or the result of a vicious hit, or a play that scored a goal, or being
penalized unfairly.  Fighting is not PART of the game in the purest sense.
If I were threatened with legal prosecution and incarceration I'd think twice
before I threw my fists or committed an act that could harm another player.
"Sin Bins" are a ritual hand slapping; officiating at its best is
imperfection. Fights only sets up bad feelings for the next game. They're
counterproductive.

Vicki