From:
Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:06:41 -0600
    -The NHL is also a case in point that players not wearing full facial
protection doesn't prevent incidents in which KJ Vorhees and Devin Hartnell
were injured.  The Vorhees situation as described is almost exactly the same
as the incident which caused Paul Kariya to miss several weeks.  What
indication is there that if KJ Vorhees and Dustin Kuk hadn't worn facial
protection, the incident wouldn't have happened?

If I am not mistaken I believe the incident involving Kaira where he was
chross checked by Suter of Chicago a few years back and Incidently cause
Paul to miss the Olympics and the rest of the NHL season was unfortunate and
a face shield probably would not have stopped that either. This is where I
believe that if there was rule where the player that does a dirty act and
injures someone should have to sit out as long as the player that was hurt,
if the injured player is out for four games, that player should have to sit
out for four games. and so on, not  a hard concept: I am not talking about
penalizing a player that trips another player that gets tripped and turns
his ankle, I am talking about the players like Dale Hunter that crossed
checked P Turgon after he scored a goal. This does happen in college I have
seen it happen before, many times.

Eric