From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:29:24 -0600
This is more on how reporting statistics works than on play of the game, but
is related to the thread on on collegehockeystats.com

Karen's comments are (as always) right on.  Last night, Filling out the
USA TODAY scoring summary was done in real time.  Their page is large,
owing to the liberal use of numeric "select" fields" with over 70 options.

The key is that they make liberal use of "onchange" options in their form.
This option allows dynamic change to the shape (and fields in) the form.
For example, there were 4 goals in the first, so i entered "4" in the total
goals field and the form was regenerated with all the other fields still
filled in and 4 goal fields to fill in.  Then, in the second, when another
goal was scored, i changed the "4" to "5" and the "onchange" field in the
form caused the form to be regenerated again.

At the end of the game, we needed only to enter the 3rd period and total
saves, and the X penalties for Y minutes and the X goals in Y power play
attempts.

Everything else was done either in real time, or at the end of the first or
second period once the copies of the shot chart were passed out.

If the folks at this new stats site want press box people to use their site they
could go a long way towards making the site more utile.

> Date:         Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:15:20 -0700
> From: Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: http://www.collegehockeystats.com/
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, John Whelan wrote:
>
> > Anybody know about this site?  It's got schedules. results, stats,
> > standings etc. for all the Men's and Women's D1 and D3 leagues, in
> > the same format as ECAC HockeyNet <http://hockey.ecac.com/>.  (They
> > were obviously set up by the same person or software.)
> >
> It is run by the ECAC, with their online statistics program. This year the
> WCHA is participating in it, and so far I'm not too fond of it, at least
> from the entering the stats side of it. Last Saturday's game was the first
> time we used it for CC, and the crew in the pressbox ended up having to do
> things twice. From what I can tell, the online entry has to be done after
> the game is over, as it prompts for number of regulation and overtime
> periods played, and goals and penalties per period by team. It took me
> about an extra half hour to fill out, and we ended up typing up our usual
> game summary separately during the game, because that needs to be printed
> and copied for the coaches and media immediately after the game. I like
> the concept, to have the info readily available for everyone like that,
> it's just a bit time consuming for the people inputting the data.
>

> Karen Heasley
> Colorado College '95
>
> CC Tiger Hockey Homepage: http://www.ColoradoCollege.edu/Athletics/Hockey/

         charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 262-3492        (fax) 262-3369            http://cs.uccs.edu/~cdash