From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara M. Fagan
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:50:06 -0500
>From:  IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "John Crispo Kelley Edwards" 19-NOV-1998 10:57:54.56

>Returning this thing to its original topic, I must admit to being genuinely
>surprised that all or most ECAC schools play both anthems all the time. I knew
>from experience that Clarkson and SLU did, but I assumed that that was due to
>their proximity to the Canadian border (i.e. sucking up to Canadian fans :-) ).

I must admit, I was thinking the same thing.  Although a St. Lawrence alum, I
attend their away games around New England and eastern NY.  I have commented to
myself that they don't all play the Canadian anthem.  I believe that Harvard
doesn't.  I actually recall hearing their radio announcers give out statistics
about their winning and losing percentage when the Canadian anthem is played or
not. (Harvard radio people that is.) This led me to think that they weren't the
only ones that didn't play it. I don't recall if Brown, Dartmouth or Yale does.

I thought they played it at SLU because of the strong Canadian presence there -
not just on the team.  I must say that the singer at SLU does a wonderful job.
The Princeton announcers even commented on it last weekend.

I don't think that anthems are needed at the beginning of sporting events but
it does help center everyone's attention on the start of the game.

Does anyone have any ideas about this weekend SLU-Clarkson game?  If Eric
Heffler plays like he has most of the time it could be a SLU win.  No matter
what I am sure that Appleton will be the place to be.  I am so grateful that
Clarkson is carried on the internet.  I so hope that the horn sounds repeatedly
for the SAINTS.

Sara
SLU '77
Let's go SAINTS!!!!!