From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1992 15:36:00 EST
Bob writes:
>Regarding the high expectations of the '84 and '88 teams, If memory serves,
>the '88 team was seeded 7th and finished 7th. I believe the seedings were
>based on results from the previous year, as opposed to somebody's
>subjective opinion. But by at least one measure, they met expectations
>exactly.

You cannot go by seedings to compare expectations with their finish.  The
seedings are based on the previous year's finish in the World Championships,
in which both the US and Canada send teams almost 100% different from the
teams they send to the Olympics.  So if anything, these seedings are much
worse than a subjective opinion and much more inaccurate.

Looking ahead to 1994, since some people brought it up, not only do I also
support Shawn Walsh for the job, I think you can probably bet the mortgage
that he will get it, and Mike Dunham will likely be the #1 goalie.  Walsh
has stated publicly that he wants the job and I don't know how they can
refuse him.

- mike