From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:40:31 -0500
>>> From: Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
|Boston College has a ton of skilled players.  They appear to like to linger
|and figure out what their competitor is about before delivering their
|rebuttal.  When the Eagles do let fly, they are wonderful to watch.  The
|entire defensive unit is splendid.  Hughes & Scuderi, Buckley & Orpik and
|Allen & Mottau move, pass and mark so well.  Mottau put out a very powerful

Was Buckley really paired with Orpik on Saturday night? Mottau has been
playing
with Allen on the power-play. But these two are B.C.'s top defensemen and
so far this year Mottau has been showing Orpik the ropes while Allen has
been
skating with Buckley.

They are an incredibly adept offensive blueline corps, but with the
exception of
Mottau, they have a bit of trouble containing skilled forwards.

Kudos to Eagle sophomore defenseman Rob Scuderi for his first collegiate
goal this weekend.
Scuderi's contribution last season as a freshman was overshadowed by the
offensive production of other B.C. freshman - namely F Gionta (29g, 28a - 57
pt.),
F Mike Lephart (15g, 12a - 27 pt.) and D Bobby Allen (7g, 19a - 26 pt.).
Although
Scuderi did muster 23 points last  year, they were all assists.

|performance against the Huskies.  His ability to read and make it happen
was
|outstanding.  The line of Tony Hutchins, Masters and Kevin Caulfield looked
|good together.  They could really roll with the puck.  The power play unit
of
|Allen, Mottau, Bellefeuille, Farkas and Gionta was superb.  They can
generate
|some impressive movement that results in deadly chances.  The partnership
of
|Farkas and Gionta is lovely.  You take the control power game of Farkas and
|blend that with the effervescent drive of Gionta and you have stellar
hockey.
|The man of the match was Gionta.  He takes a beating and keeps on dancing.
|Whenever Gionta touches the puck, something magical may happen.  Overall,
BC
|looks good!

Farkas and Gionta have been legendary together, but their time spent
together at B.C. has been very limited. It only seems that they skate
together when coach York is trying to shake things up. This year, Gionta has
been skating primarily with Giuliano (center) and Masters while Farkas has
been skating with Bellefeuille (center). I read Sunday morning in the Globe
that York did shake up his lines Saturday night but it was confusing as to
how exactly that played out.

In any case, Gionta is the Doug Flutie of college hockey.

- Paul