From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 16:49:22 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Richard S. Tuthill) wrote:

>        Excuse me,  but I am having just a little bit of a hard time swallowing
>Union's culpability in this matter.   Are we supposed to believe that Moore
>didn't know the situation at Union before he went there?   Come on,  he was
>at Colgate as an assistant,  a member of the ECAC,  situated an hour and a
>half away.   He didn't know what the situation was?   And,  are we supposed
>to swallow his leaving at the eleventh hour before the season as something
>folks of high integrity would routinely do?   I don't think so!!   Sleazy
>at best.   Think if your kid had been recruited by Union this year and had
>decided to go there.   How would you feel now?   I know if I was an AD with
>a position to fill in the future,  this little incident would get a lot of
>scrutiny if Moore applied.

So if you were unhappy with your job, unhappy with your bosses (now
this is all hypothetical), and you felt that you needed a change of
scenery, or a place where you were comfortable, you wouldn't do it
because you would be labeled as sleazy?

I don't see how this is different.  Everybody in the ECAC knew that
Stan was not happy with his situation, if they didn't then an
application at Brown for the head coaching position when Gaudet left
would have been indication enough.

I am sure that Stan knew what he was getting into, but how many people
get that first shot at being a head coach and showing what they think
they are capable of doing?  Just because you think the situation may
not be good doesn't mean you turn down a great opportunity.

I'm sure that Kevin Sneddon knows what it's like over at Union.  Does
that mean he shouldn't take the job if one day he becomes unhappy and
decides that he wants to leave?

I don't think this is an integrity issue, I think it's a matter of one
human being, and that one human being deciding what is best for him
and his family, and I can find no fault with someone thinking about
themselves and their family first.

And I certainly wouldn't hold it against him.  To me, turning a team
around and winning a coach of the year award (please bear with me
Cornell fans), is credential here to make me consider him.  He'll wind
up somewhere next year, put your money on it.

>        The irony of the situation is that Union appeared to be poised for a
>pretty decent season if their goalkeeping solidified after Koenig's
>graduation (admittedly a significant if).   The good news is that Sneddon
> sounds like a guy of the highest character and potential despite his
>youth (note I did not say inexperience).   I am sure he will bring a
>tremendous energy to the table.

And I agree, it was the logical choice.  He is a great guy and a great
motivator.  He will be fine, and remember he has a one year contract,
so don't call him sleazy if he decided to leave next August.

jayson