From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:03:47 -0500
>The Globe and Mail (Canada) is in the middle of an excellent 12-part
series
>on (it's view of) the state of Canadian Hockey, "A Game in Crisis."
>Check it out at:
>
>http://www.theglobeandmail.com/docs/webextra/

This is an excellent series --- mostly because I'm constantly battling
with our junior players and anti-US coaches about why their beloved
junior system isn't as supreme as they make it sound.  The series makes
all the points about why many of us prefer the US College system -- but,
I was disappointed that it didn't directly talk about it.  It almost
seemed to purposefully avoid admitting that many of the problems talked
about are a little better on this side of the border (not all, but many)

However, the biggest concern, as far as I am concerned is the
Over-Bearing Parents.

This monster must be tamed.  I would weigh this factor well above the
other points (like emphasis on games, less practices, smaller rinks) and
it's what leads to many of the points (kids quitting, emphasis on
winning, etc...)

I covered high school sports for a few years, and simply -- I hate
parents.  If I'm ever like that, feel free to shoot me.  I was lucky ---
my father was involved in teaching, but he never interfered negatively.
For all the parents on the list ... stop living vicariously through your
kids ... or if you do, keep it inside.

This pertains everywhere --- not just in Canadian youth hockey.

Teaching a kid to be a winner doesn't mean winning at all costs and
without having fun.  It means winning and losing with dignity.  I could
go on forever about this .... but that's enough.

AW