From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 05:24:14 EDT
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]> posted in part:

>Union and RPI have annouced that the Third Annual Capital Skate
>Classic will be held at the Glens Falls Civic Center rather than the
>Knickerbocker Arena.  The non-league game will be played on Saturday,
>November 6.  The smaller building (capacity 4806 plus 1500 SRO) should
>lend itself better to a college hockey game.

Someone please explain this one to me?  I thought that I understood the
logic of RPI and Union scheduling an extra (i.e., non-league) game in
Albany.  It is a big stadium, would give the teams some added exposure,
and would give the teams a familiarity with a rink that periodically
holds NCAA regional or national tourneys.  On the other hand, what is
to be gained from going to Glens Falls for either of these teams?  Perhaps
it could build up fan interest there, and these people might then think
about going to Troy and/or Schenectady to watch other games, but I doubt
that this will happen much.  It just seems that the two schools want to
build up this rivalry -- why I just do not understand.

I think that I would have preferred a game vs a MAAC school.

Ralph Baer
(who never visited Glens Falls in 10 years at RPI although he did travel
through by bus on the way to Lake Placid in about 1960.)
RPI '68, '70, '74