From:
Nathan Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:37:56 EST5EDT
The rumors coming out of Erie (as of 4/12) seem to be as follows:
   The Mercyhurst administration has decided to drop the men's
lacrosse team to D-II, allowing the hockey team to bump up to D-I.
   As Far  as I know; the 'Hurst will play D-I/D-III next year much in the
same fashion that Canisuis, Niagara,  etc (St. Bonaventure did
also) in the ECAC West for the 98-99 season and then in 99-00 become
a memeber of the MAAC.

Interesting...They passed up the opportunity to be a charter memeber
but opted in for the second season. I know this is what Gotkin has
always wanted...he passed up an assistants job in MIchigan some
where about 5 or so years ago. The rink will lose the south wall
(bleacher side) and gain some seating much as they same design as
Niagara (or so I'm told). I know they have already purchased a second
zamboni.
I hope that the city of Erie supports the move. We've acquired an OHL
team 2 (or maybe 3) years ago and I know the attendance varies, I
would rather watch a D-I team any day but ....

Just some more food for thought.
Nathan Bennett
St. Bona's '98