From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 17:05:20 -0600
>> It's been repeated over and over again.  How many more times does it
>> have to be said?
>
>It should be explained around tourny time every year.  Hopefully,
*many*
>people are new to the list every year, and they have no way to know
this
>gets thrashed through each year.

Yes - I agree it should be re-explained --- in fact, it's permanantly on
USCHO ---- if someone wants to re-post it to Hockey-L -- go ahead ...
but the info is there for the world to see ...  And Greenie is
definitely not new to the list, with all due respect.

>  Also, there has been so much
>poorly-phrased and even incorrect information about the selection
process
>the last few seasons, even those of us who have been here forever are
still
>not entirely confident that anybody knows what's really going on.  It's
up
>to those who do really know to put the information in an accessible
form
>and clear up the inevitable misunderstandings.

It's true ... but I am confident that last year everything was cleared
up once and for all ... at least until they change the rules --- but the
committee has sworn not to do that without letting the public know --
and we talk to the NCAA and Joe Marsh now and then to make sure.

>As far as USCHO having the articles on it -- personally I've never been
>USCHO for any reason other than to pick up scores, and I consider
myself a
>fairly atypically highly adverb-abusing and motivated (read: obsessed)
fan.
> You can't assume everyone uses the resources available.  The list is,
at
>its best, an inclusive entity.

That's a shame -- you're missing good writing   :-)  -- and I'm not
talking about mine.

>> I don't understand the reluctance of people to believe a simple fact:
>> The committee goes strictly by the numbers.
>
>Just because the system is not arbitrary does not mean it is simple.
The
>NC$$ does not have a stellar reputation for fairness or logic (ill
deserved
>or not), and as mentioned above, we are so awash in predictions,
>explanations, and ratings that the straight dope gets lost.

That fact above IS simple ... the process isn't simple -- but that fact
is.  There is no debate over who gets in the tournament -- and almost no
debate on seeding.

Basketball might fudge things --- hockey does not .... perhaps that's
because there's more physicist hockey fans who would complain about the
subjectivity   :-)

AW