From:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 22:41:57 -0500
On Sunday, February 1, 1998, "Jeffrey T. Anbinder" wrote:

> 2) Hansen failed to blow the whistle when a St. Lawrence player who had
> lost his helmet played the puck.

The player never actually played the puck. He put both his hands up
(he had lost his stick as well) and pushed at the Cornell player standing
next to him, and play left that end of the rink almost immediately, at
which time he put his helmet back on. Not exceptionally safe, which is
the intention of that rule, but I _might_ agree that he didn't really have
the opportunity to leave the ice.

> 3) After Heffler stopped Moynihan's penalty shot, he proceeded to toss the
> puck into the air and kick it into Section A.  By the definitions I'm
> familiar with, that's delay of game, and every other time I've seen
> something similar, it's been called as such.

The puck hit the netting around the end of the rink and dropped to the
ice. Not a great display of sportsmanship, but not delay.

Having corrected those few points, I completely agree with your assessment
of Hansen; there's no excuse for how completely out of hand that game
became.

Pat Carr
Cornell '96