From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 14:30:54 -0600
[This message will likely only interest those who are between North
Dakota and Wisconsin. To everyone else I apologise in advance.]

As some people on the list know, I am the SDCN* for the University of
Manitoba's Women's Hockey Team. We are going down to play at Minnesota
this weekend. As such, I have questions (in three groups) that I hope
some of the Gopher contingent might be able to answer.

Personal:

- Is anyone on the list planning on going to either of the games? If
anyone is interested in saying hi while I'm down there, mail me privately
(so as not to offend the folks who aren't between North Dakota and
Wisconsin).

- What is nearby that I can visit on the Saturday? (Apparently we will be
staying near the U). Normally in such a situation, I would hit the State
Capitol, but I have already been through Minnesota's. I know there is a
D-III game going on at Mariucci Saturday afternoon. Are either of the
teams (Augsburg & Bethel, I think) worth seeing? (Bearing in mind that
the only D-III team I've ever seen was Minnesota-Crookston.)

- Specifically, is there any decent shopping nearby? I will be looking
specifically for Minnesota Wild stuff, to offend friends of mine, and
South Park stuff, to offend relatives. :-) Do most things on the campus
tend to stay open on Saturday?

- Any chance of me finding e-mail access somewhere? (either on campus or
at an Internet cafe or some such place)

Practical:

- I downloaded the directions to Mariucci Arena from the Hockey-L
Teaminfo file. Are they still correct? (I ask only because we had, er,
problems in that area on our last road trip.)

- How's the rush-hour traffic in Minneapolis, coming from in I-94 to the
U? (I expect we'll get into town between 4 and 5.)

- How is the driving on I-94? I've only been on it in October, so I have
no idea how it behaves in the wintertime. Is it significantly slower?

- I saw Erik Biever write "Sic transit gloria mundi" in a message last
Friday. Should I take that to mean that the bus system is the worst in
the world, or have I misinterpreted that statement? ;-)

Partisan:

- So who plays for the Gophers, anyways? I have so far been unable to find
rosters or statistics anywhere. (Gophersports.com and USCHO both only had
schedules, as far as I could tell.)

- How many people have the Gophers been drawing? I know the opener got
6,854, but how has it been since? (This is the point where I mention that
our attendance is barely into double digits.)

Thanks in advance for any answers.

See you later,
John

*-Stats Drunk Computer Nerd, for those of you scoring at home.

--
John Edwards - [log in to unmask] - http://www.islandnet.com/~jedwards
      There are no stupid questions, only stupid people - Mr. Garrison