From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:44:21 -0600
>I know, I know. It's only a poll, Greenie. This is what coaches, media,
and
> mysterious others <g> felt while they were on the phone. But does it
>really have to be so bloody inconsistent? Would it make sense to have
more
>than 30 pollsters involved -- perhaps poll *all* of the coaches and
more
>"beat writers"? Or should there be less?

This is the biggest poll in the country --- the others have only 10
voters.  That should add to stability.  Polls stabilize.  Early on, no
one has any idea what to think.  People change their minds.

>And a question for those of you knowledgeable about these pesky
things --
>are the "five coaches from each conference" that are polled the same
five
>every week, are they chosen randomly, are they rotated like crops --
what's
>the deal?

Same 5 -- though it's been known to have a coach pass off the
responsibility to his assistant one week. or another.

>Oh wait... I guess we can't do that, since the committee makes its
>tournament selections and seedings based on similar criteria as the
polls.
>Just imagine, if the seeding started today, BC would be sent out west
as a
>reward for clobbering UNH. Just a thought. :-)

What in the world gives you the idea that the committee uses similar
criteria to the polls????  Erase that notion now -- they are nowhere
close and have nothing to do with each other. Polls are fun and are
solely opinion.  The committee criteria, like it or not, is a formula.

AW