From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:03:24 -0400

> In a message dated 8/15/97 8:11:04 AM, [log in to unmask] (Michael Farrell)
> wrote:
>
> <<To defend myself and my opinion, the above statement mentions that Crowley
> is
> a better COLLEGE player than either Mike Grier, Chris O'Sullivan or Jeff
> Libby. This is not to take away from any of the accomplishements of these
> players, just a compliment directed at Crowley. Crowley is a legit Hobey
> Baker candidate and led the WCHA in scoring last year. He has the ability to
> put up over 70 or 80 points in this upcoming season and I think he's a better
> player than any of the three listed were AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL. >>
>
> To keep it short and sweet, I wholeheartedly agree with Mike on these points.
> Regretfully so, as I am a diehard Colorado College fan, who has seen quite a
> bit of Grier and O'Sullivan (for some reason Libby escapes me) on my
> sattelite dish.
>

> Randy May

It's actually quite normal for small, quick, skilled players to be
the better players on the college level, yet those big, mid-speed,
not very quick wings tend to be the much better pros.

To keep some comparisons *within* teams (this way there's no feelings
hurt)  :-)  ...

(BU) Sean McEachern was far superior to Keith Tkachuk in college...
(BC) David Emma, Steve Heinze, and Marty McInnis were first liners while
  Bill Guerin was the second liner who, when put on the first line,
  couldn't really keep up... yet who would you rather have now???
(MSU) Kip Miller was an outstanding college player, yet how many
  other players from MSU over the years would you rather have in the
  pros???

I know some people will start to banter about what year different
players were, but take Sean McEachern as a freshman vs. Keith Tkachuk
as a freshman...

The sad reality is that the offer made to Crowley may not be an
insulting offer...  and suggesting that he deserves a better offer
because he's "earned" it by playing well in college is tough logic
to understand.  Offers are made based on what they think you'll do
in the pros and how badly a specific team needs you.

Since there are no more "one-way" contracts, I hope that, if Crowley
choses to sign early, that he gets most of it up front in the form
of a signing bonus.  I also hope that, if they will not guarantee a
good chunk of it, that he chooses to stay in college.

I wish him the best whichever way he chooses.

Tony

BU'92'93