From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 05:33:12 EST
Greg Ambrose wrote:

> I have a friend who subscribes to a betting service ( he's big on football
> odds and horse racing) who called me to verify the validity of the
> following odds for the NC$$ field:

>         Michigan        even money
>         Minnesota       4-1
>         Vermont         5-1
>         BU              6-1
>         Colorado C.     8-1
>         Michigan St.    8-1
>         UNH             8-1
>         Denver          15-1
>         North Dakota    20-1
>         Miami           25-1
>         Clarkson        25-1
>         Cornell         50-1

> Obviously whoever made these odds did not take into account the
> ramifications of having a bye (Clarkson and UND).  But beyond that, he gave
> me odds that Lake Superior State was 12-1 to win it all!  I guess they need
> to bone up a little in Vegas, eh?

Not that I have any intention of betting on the NC$$ tourney, but I seem
to recall that last year the odds that someone posted also seemed to be
skewed to the better known schools.  One could probably make money over a
number of years with odds that seem to be as ill-informed as these.  (Please
note that I am NOT saying that I think that Michigan shouldn't be favored,
only that some of the other teams odds are way off, as Greg stated.)

One more thought, could these possibly have been odds from before the season
started, especially since LSSU was included?

Ralph N. Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74

RPI in '98  :-)