Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 12:56:45 -0600
Charlie Shub wrote:

> now there is difficulty as in both regions both the 2/3 and 1/4
> matchups are intra conference.  Moreover, if the favorites win, 2 of
> the 4 quarter finals would be replays of this evening's games.
>
> were it me, i'd swap 3 and 4 on both
> sides send cornell west and cc and denver east.
>
> New Hampshire                   cornell
> Denver                          Miami
>         Clarkson        North Dakota
>         BU              Michigan
> vermont                         Minnesota
> colorado                        Michigan State
>
> one could easily reverse denver and cc
> the 4 wcha teams are in 4 brackets
> the 3 ecac teams are in 3 brackets
> the 3 ccha teams are in two brackets

I don't think that this is the format that the NCAA will come up with,
but if it is, I would very strongly object as a Gopher fan.  Minnesota
finished far ahead of Miami in the PWR rankings (4th vs. 10th).  I do
not think that it would be at all proper to reward that by putting them
up against a team that seems to be the overwhelming pick as the best in
the country.  This draw pits the #1 and #4 seeds in the overall rankings
in the quarterfinals.  If the NCAA puts that high a priority on avoiding
conference match-ups, then something is wrong.

J. Michael Neal