From:
Jeffrey Anbinder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 18:08:24 -0500
Mark inquired:
> If Koenig had not returned, how would that have gone into the
> records. Would his average shown 2 goals in 1/3 game similar
> to the eway a baseball pitcher's ERA is figured? How about
> the case where the goalie is in for only 10 minutes?
> Would that be 2 goals in 1/6 a game?

You've got the right idea; if Koenig was in for exactly twenty minutes
and gave up two goals, his GAA for that game is six.  Someone last year
pointed out an instance where a new goalie was put into his first game, gave
up a goal after twelve seconds, and was pulled; his GAA was 180.

After a full season of GAA under 2.00, it's not terribly likely that one
stretch of twenty minutes with a GAA of 6 will bring Koenig above 2.00,
but you can confirm that when his final stats are released.

> RPI wins the first game against Union 3-1 gathering 2 points
> for the victory. If, at the end of regulation on the second
> night, the score is tied, does RPI win the series? Or does
> that second game go into the 5 minute OT before the outcome
> is decided? My best guess is that it goes through the 5 minute
> OT giving Union the chance to win  the game and force a third
> game. But that's only my guess since it is the fair thing to
> do. Does anybody know what the tournament rules say?

The game would go into a 5-minute, sudden death overtime.  RPI would not
win the series based on a win one night and a 60-minute tie the next
because according to ECAC rules, a tie game after 60 minutes is not a
complete game, and therefore RPI would not earn a point for it.  If the
game were a tie at the end of the 5-minute overtime, RPI would win the
series with three points.

Jeffrey