From:
Chad Doughty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 00:29:20 -0500
I know that there has been a great deal written already on
last weekend's North Dakota-Minnesota series but since I
drove five hours to Grand Forks to see the games I have to
get my two cents in. I also am in the unique position of being
a Gopher fan who graduated from UND (91') so hopefully my
observations won't be so jaundiced.

#1  Having attended games at St. Cloud State, Minnesota, and
     North Dakota this year I can say that the Sioux fans were by
     far the loudest and rowdiest bunch. From the pre-game chants
     of "Gopher's Suck" to the closing seconds(when almost no one
     had left the building-quite a contrast to Mariucci Arena) the fans
     stayed active throughout the game and would shake the rafters
     after every Sioux goal. The number of dead gophers littering the
     ice has declined dramatically since my days as a student but
     after Jason Blake netted his hat on Saturday night a few hundred
     hats were sacrificed by the loyal crowd. In my opinion it is the best
     crowd in college hockey and as a Gopher fan I have to admit to
     being jealous.

#2  I completely agree with the comments regarding Rasmussen since
     his return from the World Juniors. He seems more interested in making
     the big hit instead of trying to get open and score goals. There were
     several instances during the weekend where coasted around and made
     no effort to get clear for a pass. I can't remember the last time he
scored
     a big goal against a quality team and he is becoming a huge
disappointment.
     I would much rather see him leave and go to the Sabres then have to
watch
    anymore lackluster performances.

#3  I was impressed with the quickness and speed of the Sioux and in
particular
     with Jason Blake. He played with a special drive and I have a hunch he
     harbors some ill feelings towards Minnesota and Woog for ignoring him
when
     he came out of Moorhead. Yet another great player who is somehow
     overlooked by the Gopher's.(See Matt Cullen, etc.)

#4  The Sioux should win the WCHA title fairly easily now barring a complete
     breakdown. The only thing that could derail them down the road is
goaltending.
     I thought Schweitzer didn't look too sharp either night and if the
Gopher's
    could have mustered any kind of consistent offensive attack they could
have
     made the games interesting. What has happened to Kvalevog(sp?)?

#5  The only players on the Gopher's who played well all weekend were
      DeBus, Wyatt Smith, Abrahamson,and (except for a bad clearing pass
      that lead to a Sioux goal) Spehar. If they continue to play with little

     enthusiasm and continue to make stupid mistakes in the defensive zone
     they may not make the NCAA tourney. Their main hope lies with DeBus
     who is the best goalie in the WCHA. If they could somehow regain some
     purpose and energy they could make a run at the Final Four but there is
     not too much light at the end of the tunnel right now.

#6  After five years I had nearly forgotten how bleeping flat it is up in
Grand Forks.

Chad Doughty