From:
Kirk the Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kirk the Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 15:31:58 -0600
More specifics on stats (source is Grand Forks Hearld (local newpaper)),
and a different perspective from chbell's:

UND goalie Toby Kvalevog made 14 saves and let in 3 goals over 1.25
periods.  Aaron Vickar made 3 saves and allowed 2 goals over the rest of
the 2nd period.  Freshman Aaron Schweitzer made 5 saves in the 3rd.

SCSU goalie Brian Lietza stopped 38 shots.

chbell talked about Toby's 3rd goal as a breakaway which backed him into
the net--I disagree.  It was sort of a breakaway at first, then a
defenseman caught the breaker and tied him up rather well.  All the SCSU
player could do at the end was lightly flip the puck at Toby (it may have
been one-handed).  Should have been an easy save--I'm not sure how it got
in.

My impression was not that we were outplayed so badly by SCSU.  The fact
that the final was 5-2, but shots on goal were 27-40 should point a big
ugly finger at a particular position (and kudos to SCSU's counterpart)...
I thought that if anyone, UND controled the game, and there were a _lot_
of shots that were just wide and even high.  (do unblocked shots that are
wide or high get counted as shots on goal?  how about shots stopped by
defenseman?)

I just kept looking up at the scoreboard and being stunned that it was
still 2-5.

And hey, no disrespect to SCSU!  Their goalie (Leitza) is both good and
lucky (his words in the paper today), they played a strong game all around
with excellent forechecking, and they've won on the road at Colorado
College, Wisconsin, and North Dakota now.  Unless UND creams them tonight,
I expect them to be moving up this week.

Lets Go Sioux?

Kirk