From:
Eleanor Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eleanor Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 1996 18:40:27 -0400
Sorry I really can't help jumping in right about now!  Here's a brief UVM
scouting report for those that care.

>> Vermont still lacks depth, but they don't need it unless they get hurt with
>> Perrin, St. Louis, Thomas, and don't forget Ruid.
>
>The lack of depth didn't hurt last year -- the rest of the team plays smart --
>the defense is sound stay-at-home, for the most part, and when you talk about
>the big 3 they aren't just good players -- they are three best players in the
>league, and maybe the country.  My high regard for the trio of All-Americans is
>no secret.

They're all awesome and nice guys as well.  I think the Cats may have quite
a bit more depth this year (although only time will tell).  For one thing,
a lot of the other forwards (besides the first line) are a year older (and
hopefully better) now.  One of the new recruits, a kid out of NMH, Matt
Sanders was one of the top 2 or 3 high school players in all of NE last
year in terms of skating and stick-handling ability.  And the guy can
shoot, too, I've seen him.  He looks to be making a concerted bid for the
second line as he's on third now.  The entire frosh crop looks really good,
despite an eligibility snag with one of them.  (Gotta love the NCAA
Clearinghouse!)

There's actually another native Vermonter on the team again, a real smart
defenceman named Brad Hamel.  And then there is Jason Reid, who has only
ever played 5 career games at UVM because of various injuries.  This kid is
one of the hottest defencemen UVM has ever seen.  A few years ago he was
rated 86th in the country while Ruid was 220-something and Perrin was 246
or so.  Reid is good, and, barring injury, he'll make it that much harder
to get past Thomas.

But honestly, after only a week of practice these guys are consistently
giving 110% *in practice* let alone in games.  They really want it, and
with the loss of Perrin, St. Louis, Ruid, Thomas, and other unsung heros
(ie Stelljes, Sorg, Hallman, etc, etc, etc) for the 1997-98 season,the guys
know it's now or never.  This is the best team UVM has ever had, and they
all realize it.  Not to scare any of you Michigan fans....Jason Botterill
went to my high school.  :)

Eleanor

GO UVM HOCKEY CATS!
---------------_    Eleanor Rodgers