From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 1996 02:05:31 -0400
At 11:11 PM  +0000 5/18/96, Richard Tuthill wrote:
>        I think the simple explanation is that an athlete cannot have an
>athletic scholarship and play a Division 3 sport.
>        Union is not a good example since none of their hockey players have
>athletic scholarships.
>        Merrimack is not a good example since Division 2 allows
>scholarships.

OK, this makes sense to me.  I was thinking of the question as regards a
DivI scholarship athlete participating in a non-DivI sport.  The real issue
seems to be a DivI scholarship athlete participating in a DivIII sport.

I can't find a specific rule in the NCAA Manual that addresses this.  Can
anyone help?  It could be simply that the DivIII rules apply here, and they
say that DivIII athletes cannot receive any athletic scholarships.

>My
>guess,  though,  is that hockey scholarships add to the count in whatever
>sport the hockey players opt to do outside of hockey.   Sort of a double
>bookkeeping.

There is a chart in the NCAA Manual that explains this.  A quick synopsis:

===
FIGURE 15-3: Where to Count Student-Athletes Who Participate in More Than
One Intercollegiate Sport (1996-97 Academic Year)

DIRECTIONS: Start at 1, football, and keep going until you reach a sport in
which the student-athlete participates.  Count the student-athlete in that
sport.

1. Football -> 2. Basketball -> 3. Ice Hockey -> 4. Women's Volleyball ->
5. Women's Field Hockey -> ...
===

So going by this, it looks like a hockey player who also plays a sport
other than football or basketball, counts only in hockey.

BTW, if this method was the same a couple of years ago, I'd think that
UMass D Brian Corcoran, who played football and hockey in the same year,
counted only in football and not hockey.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93