From:
Richard Tuthill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Tuthill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 1996 23:11:47 UT
        I think the simple explanation is that an athlete cannot have an athletic
scholarship and play a Division 3 sport.   At various schools such as Clarkson
and RPI (the ones I'm most familiar with),  their single D-1 sport and its
associated athletic scholarships,  creates such a situation.

        Union is not a good example since none of their hockey players have athletic
scholarships.   If they have scholarships,  they are either academic or
need-based aid.

        Merrimack is not a good example since Division 2 allows scholarships.   My
guess,  though,  is that hockey scholarships add to the count in whatever
sport the hockey players opt to do outside of hockey.   Sort of a double
bookkeeping.

        And by the way,  Tony and others,  yes,  Syracuse has had quite a tradition
of football playing lacrosse All-Americans,  hasn't it?   I also think it's
kind of neat that they encouraged that,  and that they took the trouble to
play some of the smaller schools.

        -- Dick Tuthill