From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 May 1996 08:57:35 -0400
> Date:    Fri, 17 May 1996 08:43:51 -0500
> From:    MATTHEW CALDERWOOD <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Union...
>
> Does Achilles really seat 3000?  I thought it was considerably
> smaller.

2504.  Typical crowds were 2000-2100 this past season.  The RPI game
was a sellout.

> I've often wondered when the school would spring for a larger
> building; Achilles was build for a D-3 program, and it is a great
> arena in that respect, but Union College needs more seating
> capacity.

They only sell out a few games a year at this point, so something
larger would probably make a crowd of 2000, which looks and can sound
pretty big in Achilles, seem very small.  There was talk a few years
ago that raising the roof in the current building could be done to add
capacity if necessary, but I don't know if that went beyond
speculation at the time.

> I suspect that if and when Union starts to regularly surpass the
> Engineers in the standings, the cheers in Troy will start to be for
> Union losses and deficits in the out of town scores.

Interesting..  In my eight seasons of Union games, an announcement
that RPI is losing always draws a big cheer from the Union fans.  :-)

Jim
--
Jim Teresco - [log in to unmask] - http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~terescoj/
Research Assistant, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute