From:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 23:28:58 PDT
---------------Original Message---------------
Thing question I have is this:  If UAF swaps leagues with MTU, or if UAF
simply joins the WCHA with no replacement in the CCHA, could the WCHA
avoid some of the travel problems (that is to say possibly having to make
two trips to Alaska) by going to divisions?  Could they schedule
themselves around that problem?  If the WCHA could find a way for teams
to only have to play one Alaska team, would that ease some of the
opposition in that league concerning UAF's possible membership?

Nathan W.L. Boyle
BGSU
----------End of Original Message----------

I think this issue pertains less to scheduling and more to money. Since Alaska pays the transportation costs for teams that come up here, it MUST be an economical arrangement - i.e., two games on the weekend would produce more income than three games in a row or some games during the week. It's very costly for us to have teams up here. Also, our tickets are among the lowest ($7 or so). Whatever might be worked out, a means to make the money necessary to pay for the costs would, of necessity, be the primary consideration. Remember, each home series needs to pay not only the cost (transportation) of the visiting team, but also for the home (Alaska) team to travel the following weekend - my wild guess would place that at VERY roughly somewhere around $30,000 or more.

Lastly, we just added $100,000 to the Hockey Program costs. Likely, this means that ticket cost will go up, but whether they do or not, the bottom line is that the teams MUST become successful or the issue of whether they play in ANY conference will quickly become moot!

Unfortunately, especially in our extended travel situation, the purity (ideal) of college sports must also be rooted in successful expense recovery otherwise the hockey program and the other sports that live on that income will simply cease to exist. And, it's important to us that our college and university students have the opportunity to participate in collegiate athletics somewhat akin to other US students.

Lowell King, Anchorage (UAA)