From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara M. Fagan
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 12:17:29 -0400
Two totally different topics:
1.  Ticket prices.
        Frequently on this list we hear about how some want the game of college
hockey to grow.  Some want to see the sport get more respect, more TV
coverage and more fans.  I heard something on the news last night that made
me wonder if that was such a good idea. The same story was also reported in
the Boston Globe today.  Apparently, the NCAA give each school in the Final
Four (basketball) an allotment of 2,500 tickets plus 500 hotel rooms. Thus,
the schools, except Kentucky, are packaging the tickets.  In other words, if
you are lucky enough to win the lottery to purchase game tickets then you
must also purchase a hotel package.  The game tickets cost $140 and the hotel
package is almost $900. I hope the Julius Irving and Bill Cosby aren't the
only UMass fans with money.  How many on this list could go to the hockey
games this weekend if the cost was around $1000?

2.  Referees
        People don't seem to complain about a ref when they win the game, do
they?  I must say that I too, complain about refs at times.  I follow the
ECAC - need I say more.  I don't think that LSSU should be carrying a grudge
since 1991, however.  What reason would Frank Cole have calling a lopsided
game against LSSU?  I would think that refs try to call the fairest game they
can, especially when the game is being televised.  Their jobs depend on it.
Once the game is under way they probably aren't thinking about which schools
are playing.  They are more concerned with following the puck and the action
on the ice.
        Back in 1989, SLU lost the championship game in Lake Placid.  It was
very late in the 3rd period and the game was tied.  SLU was swarming the
opposition's net and getting off some good shots.  Just when it looked like
they would probably score the net was pushed off its mooring.  No penalty was
called.  The game went into overtime and SLU lost.  I have always thought
that a penalty should have been called.  I don't, however, think that the ref
had it out for SLU.  A few months back some one mentioned on this list that
the ref in that game was Frank Cole.  The team that benefitted from that lack
of a call was LSSU.  Perhaps LSSU should be thanking Frank Cole for the
national title.

Sara
SLU '77
Let's go SAINTS!                Let's go CATS!!!