From:
Steven Czuba <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Czuba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 11:25:56 -0500
Just a comment on those trying to 'predict' what will happen in the ECAC:

1. There are 24 games left. Each game has 3 possibilities (win/loss/tie)
        (Plus no one can predict scores these games. See 3 below)

2. 3^24 possible outcomes means you'ld better have a bigger than a 32 bit
   microprocessor trying to work out all the outcomes.
   I only have a 32 Bit processor running here at work, and am thus limited to
   20 Games to accurately predict ALL outcomes. (3^20 = 3,486,784,401, 3^21 is
   larger than my workstation can handle)

3. The 3 outcomes above can't possibly predict the goals scored in each game.
   If tiebreakers 1-3 are equal, you have to go by goals scored. If the Head to
   Head games haven't been played (4) or any game vs top 4/8(5 and 6), there is
   no way to predict these situations unless we know the actual scores.

   Based upon running my tiebreak program on about 1.5 Billion cases, about 2%
of
   those fell into category 3 where I could not predict because it depended on
   scores TBD.

Moral of the story, either wait till after this weekend to predict or
don't bother.

Steve 'why is my workstation running very slow' Czuba
RPI 86